Lancashire Encounters, 2018: Covered Martket
This time-lapse film is part of my doctoral research into contemporary UK outdoor arts. I use time-lapse videography to document the durational relationships between space, audience and performance.
A series of films were made at Lancashire Encounters in Preston in between 21st and 23rd September 2018. The festival commissioned a full rhythmanalysis of its outdoor arts sites during the festival involving both quantitative and qualitative analysis. Multiple time-lapse cameras were used to cover 5 sites and parts of a parade, in addition the researcher conducted 'Vox-Pop' style interviews with audience members and made detailed observations.
This film focuses on the Covered Market where an installation called the 'VR Playground' by Thrill Laboratory was situated. In the installation participants wear VR headsets whilst on swings.
Recordings were made during the weekend and a soundscape created from them which provides the soundtrack.
- Psychology not elsewhere classified
- Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
- Performance and Installation Art
- Performing Arts and Creative Writing not elsewhere classified
- Studies in the Creative Arts and Writing not elsewhere classified
- Arts and Cultural Policy
- Human Geography not elsewhere classified
- Recreation, Leisure and Tourism Geography
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Social and Cultural Geography
- Studies in Human Society not elsewhere classified